Launched on the 15th July 2015, Skill India programme aims to help over 40 crore Indians in various industry skills to make them proficient in various areas by the end of 2022. The programme offers various Skill India courses to educate Indians in various industry skills so that they become job-ready and develop entrepreneurial skills needed for starting up a business and running it.
The mission of Skill India
The prime objective of this scheme includes –
- Train and educate youth in various industry skills.
- Explore already booming sectors.
- The advent of newer and prospective sectors.
- Educate youth from rural as well as urban areas.
Features of Skill India
- Training, guidance, and support programmes are given to individuals pursuing traditional occupations like cobblers, carpenters, welder, tailors, etc.
- The training programmes especially indulge in training individuals in the domain of textile, construction, tourism, designing, etc.
- Skill development in India focuses on training people with skills that not only streamlines with domestic skills but international skills as well.
- The individuals enrolling under the training programme will also receive certification called ‘Rural India Skill’ after successful completion of the course.
Schemes under the Skill India initiative
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY.)
- National skill development mission.
- Rural India scheme.
- National policy for skill development & entrepreneurship.
- Skill loan scheme.
Advantages of the Skill India programme
There are several benefits of the skill development courses included in this initiative, which are mentioned as follows –
- Ensure equal growth of every sector.
- It helps trained individuals secure high-paying jobs or brainstorm ideas to develop entrepreneurial skills.
- The programme aims for the economic growth of the country by developing a skilled workforce working in every sector.
- It also encourages standardisation in the process of certification as every trained professional is issued a certificate.
- The Skill India courses programme also features reward programmes to the eligible candidates with an aim towards boosting their productivity and potential at gaining fruitful employment.
- It is easier for trained individuals under this programme to avail a Mudra loan. In case they fail to avail one, they can use a loan against property to start their business as secured loans are easy to avail.
Difference between Skill India programme and other employment initiatives
There have been other national skill development programme and initiatives taken by the Indian government in the past. Still, the most significant reason for the success of Skill India is that it focuses on the development of the individual respective to industry standards and requirements. The initiative trains individuals in distinct traditional, emerging, and future technologies so that all sectors can witness uniform growth while contributing to the growing economy.
Further, the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship is the single governing authority that coordinates the programme unlike before when responsibilities were divided amongst several ministries. The certification provided by the Skill India programme is valid across the country and even abroad and is a declaration stating one’s developed skills under the programme.
After successful completion of the programme, the Government of India expects trained individuals to secure high-paying jobs or invest in business ventures that not only nurtures the learnt skills but create employment opportunities for several others.
Individuals with innovative business ideas can consider external financing solutions to take the leap into the business world with the best step forward. One of the easiest ways to acquire advances is by opting for a loan against property as these are secured in nature and therefore come with more affordable interest rates.
Entrepreneurs can use the availed funds for the start and expansion operations of their business venture. However, there are several factors to consider before taking a loan against property like feasibility, repayment options, and loan amount for the pledged property, etc. Using external financing solutions as a point of investment has become commonplace in the Indian business environment. All that remains for a skilled individual to do is to apply them successfully with a prospective business idea.